FB Page

Readers' Choice Finalist

o.htm

You're Following Me!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Case for Inclusion

This opinion piece in the Reno Gazzette-Journal titled Schools Need to Stop Segregating Children With Disabilities hits the nail on the head.

I could have written this about my own school district; and I have written about many of these same statistics and reference points for inclusion such as -

- Numerous studies over the past 30 years (40 now, I believe) show that students with disabilities being educated in an inclusion setting perform better than their peers with disabilities who are educated in a segregated setting

- Higher graduation rates in districts that have higher inclusion rates

- Inclusion benefits the students who don't have disabilities, too

- Students would remain at their neighborhood school instead of being bused to schools farther away

I am glad that Kayla is now in a school, albeit private, that believes in inclusion; but I still wish our local district did a better job in the public schools.


Grab This Button

post signature

No comments: