FB Page

Readers' Choice Finalist


You're Following Me!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Murphy's Law

One rule of Murphy's Law is when it rains it pours. Another rule is when your spouse is gone some not so good things will happen...like broken vehicles or appliances, among other things.

A couple days after Joe left the foot pedal thing on the trash can (that makes the lid lift up) broke. I thought to myself, "well if that is the only thing to break, or bad thing to happen, while he's gone I'm not going to complain!"

Friday my plan was to leave at 2:30 to fill up with gas then pick Kayla up from school. We were going to head to Roswell straight from there. It's about 2.5 hrs and the dinner/banquet was at 6:30. That would give me plenty of time to check in to the hotel, relax for a bit in the room (and let Kayla get some energy out), and iron my shirt I was going to wear to the dinner.

I got our little carry on luggage in the trunk, bags with snacks for the trip there and back, a bag w/water bottles, my camera, and DVDs for Kayla.

I pull out of the driveway at 2:30 and feel a sense of accomplishment - I got out of the house on time! Yay for me! (I'm usually running late as Joe would be the first to tell you!). Something didn't seem right as I was backing up though. I thought maybe I didn't give it as much gas as I thought and I just sputtered a little or something. So I turned down our street and started to drive and something was definitely not right. I pulled over to the curb and with a sinking heart (because I thought I knew what it felt like) I opened the door to look.

I had a flat front tire on the driver's side.

How did I not notice this when I was getting ready to leave? I don't know, wasn't paying any attention, just trying to get out of there on time I guess. I thought it was better to get the van back to our driveway, and since we were only a few houses down I turned it around and slowly drove it back (yeah I know not the best thing to drive on a flat!)

So I get out and think, "I'm a strong woman, I can handle a flat tire situation!" I call Jennifer and say "I've got a flat" and then just started crying. Yeah so much for being so strong! Oh the stress and frustration of "why NOW when I'm trying to get out of town?" Although I know at least it happened then not after I was on the road and well on my way.

The only thing I could think about was how long it would take to get it changed, go down town and get it patched, or get a new one on. How am I going to get all that done and get to Roswell by 630? Ok I guess it isn't that important that I make it there for the dinner, maybe I'll just leave and go to the Buddy Walk in the morning (although I really didn't want to wake up at 6 to leave!)

Jennifer's husband had left work early and came over. He picked me up and we went to school to get Kayla (since they were just getting out now.) As Kayla and I were walking across the parking lot I pointed Jim out waiting by his car and I know I told Kayla "Look Jim came to pick you up" (or something close to that.) Either she didn't hear me, or all she focused on was the guy in uniform because she let out a "Daddy!" in the happiest voice which broke my heart. Thank goodness she wasn't upset when I explained again it was Jim.

Jim and Jennifer let me use one of their vehicles to go to Roswell, thank goodness! We filled up with gas and Kayla and I were on our way - about an hour later than I planned.

But of course that isn't the end of it.

I make good time and get there about 600, but it's rush hour traffic and there is a stop light on every street, which I hit all the red lights, of course. It takes me about 15 min to get to the hotel.

On the way there I almost get hit. This guy comes out from the left, going the opposite direction, but came out too far and his front end was in my lane. I had to slam on the brakes, there was a car in the lane next to me, and a motorcycle behind me. Thank goodness we weren't going fast at all as we had just come through a traffic light, but I managed to stop with what looked to be just an inch or so between us. Thank you Lord that the other car and motorcycle were able to stop too.

We make it to the hotel, get Kayla out, go check in. Of course we have to get back in the car and drive around the other side of the building to our room.

Get out, get Kayla out, get the luggage, get my purse, get the bags with snacks and water (yeah I know I was only gone overnight!) and get to our room. The electronic key doesn't work. You've got to be kidding me!

There is a guy a few doors down cleaning rooms and I say something to him so he calls the front desk and they tell me to come down and get it rekeyed. I said, exasperated, "I can't, I just can't go all the way down there." I didn't know where the front desk was in relation to our room, I couldn't walk all the way down the hallway carrying everything and making sure Kayla stayed with me. I didn't want to go load everything back in the car and drive back to the front desk. I couldn't leave my stuff in the hallway. This nice man took my key and went to the front for me, I was so grateful.

At that point I thought about not going to the dinner at all but staying in the room, I was so stressed and tense and my neck and shoulders hurt, but we needed to eat and the dinner was free.

Thank goodness the location was the next left at the stop light from the hotel and then the first right. Not far at all. We get there almost 1/2 hr late, they hadn't eaten yet because there was a speaker first. We didn't eat until 730, good food, but man was I hungry.

We leave around 830 and as Kayla and I walk back to the car I get another sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Please tell me that isn't our car, please? But I know it is. I left the lights on! (our van turns them off automatically so I'm not used to making sure they are off). Oh will this day ever end? I prayed the batteries weren't drained and I wouldn't have to get a jump from someone, but I had been there for 1.5 hrs, surely it would be dead. God answered my prayers and it started right up!

We get back to the hotel and I start getting us ready for bed. One more thing had to happen. I realized I didn't pack a pull up for Kayla. She pretty much sleeps through the night and doesn't wake up to go to the bathroom, some mornings she is dry, some she is wet, we just never know. I could only imagine how this night was going to go if she had an accident while sleeping. Thankfully she didn't.

I did end the night on a good note though. I was able to watch the last 1/2 of the Red Sox - Angels playoff game. Kayla fell asleep in the 8th inning and I climbed in to my bed exhausted. By the 9th inning I was having trouble keeping my eyes open. I let them close while telling myself I'll keep my ears "open" to hear what is happening. I heard something and when I looked the Red Sox had the first batter on base. Closed my eyes again with every intention of listening to the game. Woke up with a start to realize they were interviewing Manny Ramirez for his game-winning walk-off home run. Aaaahh, I can sleep happy now :)

Except I wasn't able to sleep well at all. I think I was too worried about Kayla having an accident and needing to be awake when that happened!

The Walk was great, will post pictures tomorrow. For now, we're home safe and I really hope I'll sleep good tonight!

post signature


LauraJ said...

Oh dear what a horrible day! Big big hugs to you and Kayla! Now it's past and the walk was a success. And I'll be sending in my donation for next years walk in a month. Lol. Kidding! :D

Omaha Mama said...

Oh my!

Well, at least the walk went well. I'm so glad for that!

I've had days like that too, you are such a strong person to persevere and stick with the plan!

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, Michelle. What a day. Thank God for good friends! I'm so glad they let you borrow their car. As for the man that went to get your key, what a wonderful man! It's nice to hear of strangers being kind in this day and age. (((Hugs)))

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Wow! What a day! I am exhausted just reading that and feeling a little tense too! :) Glad the walk was successful - looking forward to the pictures!


MIL said...

Oh Sweetheart I'm so sorry Friday was just a disaster for you!! Good thing the Red Sox's won or your whole day would have been ruined ;-) We're looking forward to seeing the Buddy Walk pictures.

Christina said...

OH man! At least the diner and walk were great right?! And yay for no accidents!

Nicki Mann said...

Sounds like a huge fiasco! I would not have been able to fix my own flat tire and I would have been bawling, too!

Mommatude said...

You poor thing....I would have been in absolute tears the entire time!!!

So glad the buddy walk went well!Thank goodness for good friends too!

Nancy said...

Oh, Michelle, I felt stressed just raeding that post! I'm glad everything turned out okay and that you ended up having fun.

Maybe you are just getting the bad stuff out of the way at once while Joe is gone...? Yes, I think that's it.

You are so efficient!

amy flege said...

oh man... what a rough day! its good to hear you enjoyed yourself in the end though! glad you are home safe. cant wait to see your buddy walk pictures!

Tracey said...

ACK!! So glad that the things that DID go wrong weren't as bad as they could have been, though. You know? But so sorry that it was such a long day for you...

Broke my heart for you when she called "daddy..."

Michelle said...

Awww - I'm so sorry that you had such a crummy day! But so glad that you made it there safely and had fun! Can't wait to see photos!

Dori (Aviva's mommy) said...

Oh goodness..You need a BIG HUG for Friday...but glad you got there safe and sound and had a good time...

I saw the walk off 3 run homerun by Manny Ramirez. knew as soon as he hit it.

Cannot wait to see pics.

Renee's Ramblings said...

I guess you could say y'all have had an eventful weekend! Glad that the walk went well and you both got home safe and sound. Take care!

Anonymous said...

What an adventure you had!!! Now you know you can do anything!! :)

that was sweet and sad, Kayla thinking Jim was her Daddy and she was so excited.....Bless her little heart.....I am so glad that you have friends that were able to help you with your van and even share their van...what a blessing.:) The Angels were watching over you and Kayla..:) Love mom/grandma

jennifergg said...

Bad stuff ALWAYS happens when my husband is away...things break, fall apart, we get sick, etc etc etc BUT. I'm not pregnant...
my heart goes out to you! What a brave strong mama you are to see it all through! And I'm glad the walk turned out okay, and that you are home safe and sound!

Corey~living and loving said...

just reading all that made me anxious and tense.
I am glad you are back and the walk was good. :)

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

You poor, poor thing . I comletely sympathize. Yep, when the husbands away or when you are in a hurry to get someplace, it always seems to happen. Sucks.

Glad you made it there Ok and weren't in an accident.

Too bad you couldn't have had a friend go with you to help you out....but glad things turned out OK.

Karen said...

I'd have been a quivering wreck I tell you. I wondered what had happened to my prayers for smooth worry free travel, it had all gone (as they say here in NZ "To Custard"). But I felt overwhelmingly grateful that the flat tyre happened before leaving, you didn't get harmed in the near-hit and that the battery didn't go flat. Glad to hear the walk was awesome. Please Lord - the smoothest, cruisiest, easiest trip back for Michelle and Kayla!

Conny said...

Wow - what a day!!! Big hug for the two, I mean three of you!!!!

Shelley said...

Sorry to hear you had such a stressful trip. Glad the walk was worth it.

smilnsigh said...

That has got to be about the worst example of Murphy's Law that I've ever heard about. Oh you poor girl!

Lots of hugs,

chelle said...

wow! So glad you made it over all the obstacles! You rock woman!

The Rocking Pony said...

That sounds horrible! And always when you're alone. Praise the Lord, again, for His hand over you.

Kathleen Marie said...

Oh my... You need some big hugs. You will hopefully laugh at this day a few years down the road.

God did indeed protect you! Hugs!

Katie said...

What a shocker!!
Thank goodness thats over hey?
Im glad the walk went well :)
One day you will look back and laugh over it!
Hugs to you and Kayla

ChupieandJ'smama said...

I really hate days like this! I'm just glad that every thing worked out and you both were safe.

Tricia said...

oy yoy yoy! I am glad it all pulled together in the end, but this HUGS for you!!!!