Thursday, November 02, 2006
Texas Two-Step Stew
Serve this spicy stew with warm four tortillas and cool lime wedges. Sour cream makes a tasty topper.
1. 8 ounce uncooked chorizo sausage
2. 1 medium onion, chopped
3. 1 15-ounce can Mexican-style or Tex-Mex-style chili beans
4. 1 15-ounce can hominy or 1 11-ounce can whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained
5. 6-ounce package regular Spanish-style rice mix
1. Remove casings from sausage, if present. In a medium skillet cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Drain fat. Transfer sausage mixture to a slow cooker. Stir in undrained chili beans, hominy, and the seasoning packet contents from the rice mix, if present (set aside remaining rice mix). Pour 6 cups water over all.
2. Cook on low-heat setting for 4-6 hrs or on high-heat for 2-3 hours. Stir in remaining rice mix. Cook on low-heat setting for 1 hour more.
Visit Sandra for more slow cooker recipes!